When it comes to classic Italian dishes, Chicken Marsala Recipe Without Cream stands out as a timeless favorite. The rich and savory flavor of Marsala wine combined with tender chicken creates a dish that’s both comforting and elegant. However, many traditional recipes call for the addition of cream, adding a creamy texture but also extra calories. In this culinary journey, we’ll explore a unique and equally delicious twist on the classic Chicken Marsala recipe sans cream.
Table of Contents
Chicken Marsala Recipe Without Cream
Chicken Marsala is a dish that originated in Sicily, Italy, and quickly gained popularity worldwide for its delectable combination of flavors. The key ingredients include chicken breasts or thighs, Marsala wine, mushrooms, and a blend of herbs and spices. While cream is a common addition to the sauce, our goal is to create a lighter version without compromising on taste.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (cremini or button mushrooms work well)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- Prepare the Chicken:
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess.
- Cook the Chicken:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken breasts and cook until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Sauté the Mushrooms and Garlic:
- In the same skillet, add butter.
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms and minced garlic until the mushrooms are golden brown and the garlic is fragrant.
- Deglaze with Marsala Wine:
- Pour in the Marsala wine, scraping the bottom of the skillet to release any flavorful bits.
- Allow the wine to simmer and reduce by half.
- Create the Sauce:
- Add chicken broth, dried thyme, and dried oregano to the skillet.
- Stir well and let the sauce simmer for 5-7 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Return Chicken to the Skillet:
- Place the cooked chicken breasts back into the skillet, allowing them to soak up the flavorful sauce.
- Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, ensuring the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Plate the Chicken Marsala, spooning the mushroom and wine sauce over each piece.
- Garnish with fresh parsley for a burst of color and added freshness.
This Chicken Marsala recipe without cream offers a delightful alternative for those looking to enjoy the classic Italian dish with a lighter touch. The combination of Marsala wine, mushrooms, and aromatic herbs creates a sauce that is both rich and satisfying. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a home cook looking to impress, this recipe is sure to become a staple in your repertoire. Embrace the essence of Chicken Marsala without the cream, and savor every bite of this flavorful culinary creation.