In this blog post, we’ll take you on a culinary journey through the art of making Homemade Shankarpali Recipe.
Who can resist the allure of a perfectly crispy, savory snack that tantalizes your taste buds with every bite? If you’re a fan of Indian cuisine, you’re probably already familiar with Shankarpali. This beloved snack is a staple in Indian households, often prepared during festivals like Diwali, Holi, or even enjoyed as an everyday treat.
Table of Contents
What Is Shankarpali?
Shankarpali, also known as Shakarpara or Shakkarpare, is a popular Indian snack hailing from the western states of Maharashtra and Gujarat, but it’s cherished all over the country. These bite-sized, diamond-shaped, deep-fried pastries are characterized by their crispy texture, mild sweetness, and a hint of cardamom. They strike the perfect balance between sweet and savory, making them an excellent choice for tea time or as a munchable treat during festivals.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s gather the ingredients you’ll need to make your own batch of delicious Shankarpali:
For the Dough:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of semolina (sooji)
- 2 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup of water (approximately)
- Vegetable oil
For the Sugar Syrup (Optional):
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
Now that you’ve got everything ready, let’s get started with the step-by-step process.
1. Prepare the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, semolina, a pinch of salt, and cardamom powder.
- Add the ghee and mix it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add water, a little at a time, and knead the mixture into a firm but smooth dough. You may not need all the water, so go slow.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
2. Roll and Cut the Shankarpali
- After the resting period, divide the dough into small portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Roll out each ball into a thin sheet, about 1/8 inch in thickness.
- Use a knife or a Shankarpali cutter to cut the rolled dough into diamond or square shapes.
3. Fry to Perfection
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan or kadhai over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully slide in a few Shankarpali pieces at a time. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the Shankarpali until they turn golden brown and crispy. Stir occasionally to ensure even frying.
- Remove the fried Shankarpali with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
4. Optional Sugar Coating
- To add a touch of sweetness, you can make a sugar syrup by dissolving sugar in water and simmering it until it reaches a one-string consistency.
- Dip the fried Shankarpali in the sugar syrup, ensuring they are coated evenly. Let them dry on a wire rack.
5. Enjoy! :Homemade Shankarpali Recipe
Your homemade Shankarpali is now ready to be savored. These delightful treats are perfect for serving with a hot cup of chai or coffee. Share them with friends and family during festive occasions or keep a jar handy for those snack cravings.
Tips and Variations
- For a spicier version, you can add red chili powder or black pepper to the dough.
- Adjust the level of sweetness by increasing or decreasing the sugar coating.
- Store Shankarpali in an airtight container to maintain their crispiness.
- Experiment with different shapes and sizes to make your Shankarpali unique.
If you like this recipe please comment and also read more popular recipes:
Homemade Shankarpali Recipe is not just about creating a delicious snack; it’s about preserving tradition and creating memories with loved ones. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is simple to follow and guarantees delightful results.
So, why wait for the next festival to savor this crunchy delight? Gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and embark on a culinary adventure to create your own batch of homemade Shankarpali. Enjoy the crunchy, savory goodness and the smiles it brings to your table!