In this blog post, we’ll explore the simplicity and uniqueness of a Ghana pancake recipe that will have you flipping for joy.
When it comes to breakfast delights from around the world, pancakes are a universal favorite. But have you ever tried a Ghanaian twist on this classic breakfast dish? Ghanaian pancakes, also known as “Ghana Pancakes” or “Nkatie Burger,” are a delightful variation that will take your taste buds on a flavorful journey.
Table of Contents
The Ghanaian Pancake: A Culinary Gem
Ghanaian pancakes are more than just a breakfast item; they are a cultural treasure. They have a distinct texture and flavor profile that sets them apart from the traditional American pancakes. These pancakes are not overly sweet, making them perfect for any time of day, whether you enjoy them as a snack or a breakfast meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s gather our ingredients. For this simple Ghana pancake recipe, you will need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Fresh fruit
- Groundnuts (peanuts)
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder. Mix them together until well combined.
- Add Wet Ingredients: In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, whole milk, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- Combine the Mixtures: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until you have a smooth batter. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Let the Batter Rest: Allow the batter to rest for about 10-15 minutes. This will help the pancakes rise and become fluffy.
- Heat the Pan: Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and add a small amount of vegetable oil to coat the bottom.
- Fry the Pancakes: Pour a ladleful of batter into the hot pan and swirl it around to spread evenly. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown.
- Serve: Once cooked, transfer the pancakes to a plate and serve immediately. You can top them with honey, jam, fresh fruit, or groundnuts for added flavor and texture.
Unique Ghanaian Pancake Tips
- Nkatie Burger Secret: Want to make these pancakes even more unique? Add some roasted groundnuts (peanuts) to the batter for a delightful crunch.
- Size Matters: Ghanaian pancakes are typically smaller than American pancakes. They are usually made in palm-sized portions, making them perfect for snacking.
- Nutty Flavor: The use of nutmeg in the batter gives these pancakes a warm, slightly spicy flavor that is characteristic of Ghanaian cuisine.
- Cooking Time: Keep an eye on the pancakes while they cook. They should be golden brown on both sides but still soft and slightly fluffy.
If you like this recipe please comment, Also read more popular recipes:
Conclusion: Ghana Pancake Recipe
Ghanaian pancakes are a wonderful example of how simple ingredients can come together to create a unique and flavorful dish. This recipe offers a taste of Ghana’s rich culinary traditions, and it’s an excellent way to expand your breakfast repertoire.