Tikkad roti is a traditional Rajasthani bread that is known for its thick, fluffy texture and hearty flavor. It is made with a simple dough of whole wheat flour, cornmeal, and water, and is often seasoned with spices such as ajwain (carom seeds) and asafoetida. Tikkad roti is typically cooked on a tawa (griddle) over direct heat, and is often served with a variety of Indian curries and dals.
Table of Contents
Why Tikkad Roti is Special
Tikkad roti is a special bread for a number of reasons. First, it is made with a unique combination of whole wheat flour and cornmeal. This gives the roti a hearty flavor and a slightly chewy texture. Second, tikkad roti is typically cooked over direct heat, which gives it a slightly charred flavor and a crispy exterior. Finally, tikkad roti is often served with a variety of rich and flavorful Indian curries and dals. This makes it a complete and satisfying meal.
How to Make Tikkad Roti: टीक्कड रोटी कैसे बनाते है
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, water, salt, carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Knead the dough until it is soft and pliable.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, divide the dough into small balls.
- Roll out each ball into a round shape.
- Heat a tawa (griddle) over medium heat. Apply some oil on the tawa.
- Place the rolled-out roti on the tawa and cook on both sides until golden brown.
- Tikkad roti is ready.
- For a softer tikkad roti, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of curd to the dough.
- You can also add other spices to the dough, such as ginger powder, garlic powder, or cumin powder.
- Serve tikkad roti with your favorite curry or dal.
Also read : Khoba Roti Recipe: Rajasthan Special
- 2 कप गेहूं का आटा
- 1 कप पानी
- 1 चम्मच नमक
- 1/2 चम्मच अजवाइन
- 1/4 चम्मच हल्दी पाउडर
- 1/4 चम्मच लाल मिर्च पाउder
- 1/4 चम्मच धनिया पाउडर
- 1/4 चम्मच गरम मसाला पाउडर
- एक बड़े बर्तन में गेहूं का आटा, पानी, नमक, अजवाइन, हल्दी पाउडर, लाल मिर्च पाउडर, धनिया पाउडर और गरम मसाला पाउडर डालकर अच्छी तरह मिलाएं।
- आटे को नरम होने तक गूंथें।
- आटे को ढककर 10 मिनट के लिए रख दें।
- 10 मिनट बाद आटे को छोटे-छोटे लोई में बांट लें।
- प्रत्येक लोई को गोल आकार में बेल लें।
- एक तवा गरम करें और उस पर तेल लगाएं।
- बेली हुई रोटी को तवे पर रखें और दोनों तरफ से सुनहरा होने तक पकाएं।
- टिक्कड़ रोटी तैयार है।
Variations on Tikkad Roti
- For a spicier roti, add a pinch of red chili powder to the dough.
- For a more flavorful roti, add a tablespoon of grated ginger and garlic to the dough.
- For a healthier roti, use whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
- For a more traditional roti, cook the roti on a tawa (griddle) over direct heat.
Tikkad roti is typically served with a variety of Indian curries and dals. Some popular combinations include:
- Dal makhani and tikkad roti
- Butter chicken and tikkad roti
- Saag paneer and tikkad roti
- Chicken tikka masala and tikkad roti
- Lamb vindaloo and tikkad roti
Tikkad roti can also be enjoyed on its own with a simple side of raita (yogurt salad) or chutney.
Also read: Lasaniya Batata Recipe: Gujarati Style
Tikkad roti is a delicious and versatile bread that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and can be enjoyed with a variety of Indian curries and dals. If you are looking for a hearty and flavorful bread, give tikkad roti a try.